Distribution / Habitat
The Streaked Spiderhunters are resident (non-migratory) in central and eastern Himalayas and north-east India; specifically occurring in the following countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, north-east India, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand, and Vietnam.
They occur in broad-leaved evergreen and mixed deciduous forests and secondary growth, in particularly favoring areas with wild bananas, at elevations from 2,700 up to 6,000 feet (820 - 1,830 meters).
Subspecies and Ranges:
- Arachnothera magna magna (Hodgson, 1836) - Nominate race
- Range: Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, eastern Bangladesh and northeastern India east to southern China (southeastern Xizang east to western, southern and southeastern Yunnan, southwestern Guizhou and western Guangxi) and northern Myanmar
- Arachnothera magna aurata Blyth, 1855
- Range: Central and eastern Burma - also known as the Republic of the Union of Myanmar - a country in Southeast Asia
- Arachnothera magna musarum Deignan, 1956
- Range: Southeastern Myanmar, northern Thailand, Laos and western Tonkin - the northernmost part of Vietnam
- Arachnothera magna pagodarum (Deignan, 1956)
- Range: Southern Myanmar, western Thailand and southern Malay Peninsula.
- Arachnothera magna remota (Riley, 1940)
- Range: South central and southern Vietnam
The Streaked Spiderhunters measure 6.7 - 8.1 inches (17 - 20.5 cm) in length (including the tail).
They have very long, down-curved bills and bright orange legs.
The upper plumage is olive-green with bold streaks. The plumage below is paler, but also boldly streaked.
Calls / Vocalizations / Sounds
Alternate (Global) Names
Chinese: ????? ... Czech: Strdimil ostnitý, strdimil proužkovaný ... Danish: Stribet Edderkoppejæger ... Dutch: Gestreepte Spinnenjager ... Finnish: Viirulukkinen ... French: Arachnothère striée, Grand Arachnotère, Grand Arachnothère ... German: Strichelspinnenjäger, Strichel-Spinnenjäger ... Italian: Cacciaragni striato, Mangiaragni striato ... Japanese: tatejimakumokaridori ... Norwegian: Stripeedderkoppjeger, Stripeederkoppjeger ... Polish: pajecznik kreskowany, paj?cznik kreskowany ... Russian: ???????????? ??????????-??????????, ????????? ??????????-?????????? ... Slovak: pavuciarka ciarkavá, pavu?iarka ?iarková ... Spanish: Arañera Rayada, Arañero Estriado ... Swedish: Streckad spindeljägare ... Thai: ?????????????
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!