Softbills feed mainly on fruits and to a lesser extent on leaves, buds, and flowers, occasionally taking small insects, snails and slugs.
In captivity, the following diet is recommended:
- A dry mix of low-iron softbill diet.
- Please note: Liquid nectar needs to be replaced several times daily. In warm weather every 4 hours. Spoiled nectar will cause your lory to become ill and possibly die.
- Mixed dried fruit
- Fresh or Frozen Produce, such as:
- Fruits: figs, apples, pomegranates, papaya, pears, grapes, cantaloupe, pineapple, figs, kiwi, bananas,oranges
- Vegetables: sweet corn, corn-on-the-cob, carrots, iceburg lettuce (finely chopped), tomatoesFruits and veggies can be served shredded, sliced or diced into 0.75 cm cubes.
- Another healthful addition to their diet are flowers, including pansies, nasturtiums, roses, hibiscus, marigolds, and dandelions.
- NOTE: All fruits, veggies, flowers and branches should be pesticide free. Organic is always best. (For non-toxic ways to control pests in the house or garden, please visit this webpage.)
- Protein: Grated mild cheese, hard boiled eggs (especially important in the breeding season)
- When available (and ideally!): provide fruit tree branches with flowers and buds