Eagles ... Birds of Prey ... The Sport of Falconry
Distribution / Range
These are mainly resident African species, but the migratory Short-toed Eagle breeds from the Mediterranean basin into Russia, the Middle East and India, and winters in sub-Saharan Africa and east to Indonesia.
Snake eagles are found in open habitats like cultivated plains arid savannaha, but require trees in which to build a stick nest. The single egg is incubated mainly or entirely by the female.
Circaetus eagles have a rounded head and broad wings.
Diet / Feeding
They prey on reptiles, mainly snakes, but also take lizards and occasionally small mammals.
Species in taxonomic order
- Short-toed Eagle Information, Circaetus gallicus / Short-toed Eagle Photo Gallery
- Black-chested Snake-eagle, Circaetus pectoralis - sometimes included in C. gallicus
- Beaudouin's Snake-eagle, Circaetus beaudouini - sometimes included in C. gallicus
- Brown Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinereus
- Southern Banded Snake-eagle or Fasciated Snake-eagle, Circaetus fasciolatus
- Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens
Copyright: Wikipedia. This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!