The Shining Parrots, Prosopeia, are endemic to the islands of Fiji, although one species, the Red Shining-parrot, has been introduced to Tonga. The three species are also sometimes known as musk parrots.
Five distinct island races of this parrot species are found on Fiji.
The most well known are the following species:
- Masked Shining Parrots (Prosopeia personata)
- Only found on the island of Viti Levu, which is the largest island in the Republic of Fiji.
- Mostly green with a dark / black head. This Shining Parrot cannot be visually confused with the other shining parrots.
- Red Shining-parrot (Prosopeia tabuensis)
- Found on the islands of Koro, Gau, Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
- Crimson Shining-parrot (Prosopeia splendens)
Shining parrots have a very bright, colorful plumage and have long tails. Their flight is described as slow and crow-like.
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.