Status in the Wild / Distribution:
The Sepik Lorikeets (Charmosyna josefinae sepikiana) are endangered in their natural habitat in the mountains of Sepik region, Western Highlands and Papua New Guinea.
Lories as Pets or in Aviculture:
Due to their endangered status, any suitable specimen that cannot be released back into their natural habitat (native range) should preferably be placed into a well-managed breeding program to ensure the continued survival of this species.
Genus: Scientific: Charmosyna ... English: Honey Lorikeet ... Dutch: Honingpapegaaien ... German: Zierloris ... French: Loriquet de miele
Species: Scientific: Charmosyna josefinae sepikiana ... English: Sepik Lorikeet ... Dutch: Sepik Josephine's Lori ... German: Sepik Josephinenlori ... French: Loriquet de Sepik
Other Relevant Web Resources
- Photos of the Different Lory Species for Identification ... Listing of Species
- Distribution Maps of Lories and Lorikeets
- Lories and Lorikeets in Aviculture
- Feeding and Housing Your Lories and Lorikeets
- Diseases of Lories / Lorikeets and Health Care Program
- Special Challenges of Lories and Lorikeets: Training and Behavioral Guidance
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.