Bird Adoption & Rescue
New Bird Rescue / Adoption Community (Please join if you need to place a bird; or are able and willing to give a needy bird a good home; or would like to help in rescue operations.) - NO PROFIT ... Only Love and Compassion!
Please note: If you can't keep your pet, but don't want to join the above Community, please e-mail us details and we will post the pet anonymously - yet you will be forwarded any potentials and can talk / meet with them to see if they would make a good match.
United States Rescue Organizations
International Rescue Organizations
Emergency Preparedness For Pet Birds
Guidelines for Rescuers / Rescue Organizations .
Guidelines for Rescuers / Rescue Organizations
1. Rescuer should not breed birds, therefore adding to the problem.
2.Rescued birds should NEVER be sold.
3.Rescued birds should NOT be bred, therefore adding to the problem, UNLESS they belong to an endangered species.
4. Rescuers should be willing to provide education and continued support to the parties adopting the parrot
Adopting a Bird
Please scroll down for listings of rescue organizations or check in your local Yellow Pages to see if you have a reputable Bird Rescue Organization in your area. NOTE: REAL rescue organizations do not breed nor sell birds.
I have added the below rescue organization in good faith, but I would recommend for anyone wanting to place their bird to check any of them out very carefully, before doing so ... IMPORTANT: Please read this information before re-homing any birds or donating any money!
My first choice will always be to adopt - and not buy! You have the ability to make a critical difference in the life of a displaced parrot! This being said, below are your options.
NOTE: These listings are added and maintained by Avianweb as a public service. Even though we don't actively research the rescue organizations wishing to be listed -- we do reserve the right to remove any rescue organization about which credible negative information has come to light (which usually is mistreatment, neglect, breeding or selling of “rescued birds” for profit).
U.S. and Worldwide:
Pet Finder (allows you to input your zip code and find pets near you) ... Birdadoption.org
- James Ireland DVM, MD - Veterinarian and MD in the Little Rock area in Arkansas. His organization takes in birds whose owners' life situation has changed to the point of needing to place their birds in new homes. They also provide help to enable people to be able to keep their birds if circumstances permit. Contact. Jamesdireland@hotmail.com - e-mail: Rescue@ParrotMedics.org, (501) 443-2407
- PEAC (Parrot Education and Adoption Center): Address: PO Box 600423, San Diego, CA 92160 - Phone (619) 287-8200; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Association for Parrot C.A.R.E. - video and website @ www.parrotcare.org - Mailing Address: Association for Parrot C.A.R.E., PO Box 84042, Los Angeles, CA 90073, Phone: 661-245-3111 / toll-free: 866-parrotcare (727-7682) - Contact: Lorin Lindner, PhD - Email: email@example.com
- Parrot Rehabilitation Society P.O. Box 620213, San Diego, CA 92102-0213, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 224-6712
- Finest Feathers Bird Sancturay email@example.com Finest Feathers is based in Lake Elsinore, CA and has a second location in El Cajon, Ca. Accept all birds, except those that by law should be given to the wildlife rehab department. They are not a medical facility, so they cannot take in those needing urgent verterinay care.
- Association of Avian Rescue Organizations, 3370 Beech Street
- Coventry Companion Bird Survival Center, Kelly and Larry Mullins, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, P.O. Box 491731, Redding, California 96049, (530) 378-1355
- Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue, PO Box 697, San Jose. CA., 95106-0697 Phone: (650) 301-6521, www.mickaboo.org, Executive Director/Tammy Azzaro, e-mail: email@example.com
- Bat Rescue - batrescue.org
- Feathered Family, - featheredfamily.com - Erie CO, Rescue, Rehoming and Adoption of Companion Parrots
District of Columbia:
- Clearwater: Neurotic Exotics/ Tortoise Den Inc, 1559 - Contacts: Jamie Mitchell 727-657-4721; Mark Mitchell 727-455-5970. Work with cockatoos, parrots, macaws, african greys, keets, conures, eclectus. Any and all conditions and situations. Also try to help people keep their birds when possible. Able to pick up. Willing and proud to assist military families as well. Domestic issues etc. Assist with a emergency housing facility zoo and humane society as well.
- Naples: Gulf Coast Butterflies - Rescues lories specifically. Please contact: Ken Werner, Naples, FL. Tel. 239-353-9492 - email. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Homestead: Regina and Marshall Cassell, Wings of Love; 26300 SW 227th Ave, Homestead, Fl 33031, (305) 246-LOVE; Fax (305) 247-9493, e-mail: email@example.com
- Melbourne Avian Rescue Sanctuary, a Florida parrot rescue organization. 418 Ocean Avenue, Melbourne Beach, FL 32951 - http://www.marsparrots.org/
- Avian Haven Exotic Parrot Rescue Inc. 148 Brookfall Dr. St. Augustine FL 32092 - N/A
- http://www.ourfeatheredangels.com - Does not sell, trade, buy or breed birds. Provides education (including scheduled school and elderly care visits) and information about parrot ownership, care, and behavior. Offers a home to parrots whose families can no longer care for. Assists those looking for health care or rescue information - Contact: Tina Collett 151 Quail Place NE Milledgeville, GA., 31061 Tel. 478-295-0386
- Dee's Haven Bird Rescue - Donna L. Kristosik
- Maui Animal Rescue and Sanctuary, 315 Pauwela, Hiki, HI 96705, (808) 575-7698, firstname.lastname@example.org
- RescueTheBirds.org - Licensed by the Illinois Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Welfare as a Rescue Facility, Accredited by the Association of Avian Rescue Organizations
- Greenwood, Indiana - Exotic Parrot Rescue and Sanctuary - e-mail: ExParrotSanc@Live.com. Tel.317-883-9175. Contact Misty D. Sheetz, Website: http://N/A
- Ann Wykowski - South East Iowa Parrot Rescue; 3554 270th. Avenue, Keokuk, IA 52632 - Tel. 319 670-0067
- www.beaknwings.org - a licensed shelter for the State of Kansas involved in rescue and adoptions.
- Flight For Flight Parrot Rescue - 501c3 non-profit parrot rescue - Tulsa, Oklahoma: Rehabilitator and educator about parrots. Cover the states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas and Missouri. Email: email@example.com PH. #'s 918-283-1264 / 918-845-7745 / 918-633-7257
- Beak N Wings - a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization located in Kansas City. Take in homeless, unwanted or abused parrots, "rehabilitate" them, and find them good, permanent, loving homes - http://www.beaknwings.org - For more information call: 913 322-3398 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northern Kentucky Parrot Rescue - A foster home for birds of all ages and species. Non-profit 501© - Contact: Regina Daily - Tel. (859) 359-5211 for placement or information please e-mail: Gina.email@example.com - Independence, Ky. 41051
- We Are Loved Bird Rescue and Education Organization, Frederick, MD - Tel.: 240-439-7403, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://bairdsnest.webs.com/ - takes in all bird sizes from finch to macaw. Offers rehab help, and bird sitting/fostering. No fees donations only.Contact: Stacy
- Peace Paws and PALS (Parrot Assisted Living Services) is located in Lansing MI and we take in birds of all sizes. They are 501(c)3 tax exempt, and offer indoor free flight for both large and small birds. Website is listed below, none of the birds are adopted out once they arrive at our sanctuary, but some are used in our parrot therapy programs. Feel free to inquire about any further questions. Jessy Owens, Peace Paws,www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI571.html - Preventing Exotic and Avian Cruelty Everywhere.
- Midwest Avian Adoption and Rescue Service, Inc, P.O. Box 821, Stillwater, MN 55082, Eileen McCarthy, CEO, (651) 275-0568, (651) 275-0457, e-mail: email@example.com
- Dr. Julie Burge, Avian Vet - Burge Bird Services and Burge Bird Rescue, 13833 S 71 Hwy, Grandview MO 64030 - Tel. 816-356-4700, BurgeBirdServices.homestead.com
- St. Louis Avian Rescue - STAR - P O Box 732 Manchester, MO 63011 - www.staravian.org - email at firstname.lastname@example.org - Voice Mail Box - 314 995-6233 - An all-volunteer 501(c)(3) rescue and adoption group formed in 2002, to help homeless birds in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Volunteers foster a variety of bird species, with the eventual goal of placement in forever homes. Also strive to educate and instruct the public in not only the care of companion birds, but in the appreciation of wild birds as well. Contact: Pam Walsh St. Louis Avian Rescue - STAR
- Springfield, Missoury: Parrot Education, Adoption, and Rehabilitation (PEAR) serves as a temporary sanctuary facility for exotic birds. Contact: Erin Sorensen- www.peartree-sanctuary.org - a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Rescue, rehabilitate, and adopt out relinquished parrots. Offer parrot owners education and assistance with basic bird care, nutrition, and behavior issues.
- IIRBS, Inc, Chillicothe MO 64601 ... Rehabilitate and rehome rescued and surrendered parrots and exotic birds. Permanent sanctuary is also given to certain parrots upon request under certain circumstances. email: email@example.com and phone is 660-707-5472. Stephanie Barclay, Director
- Montana's Parrot and Exotic Bird Sanctuary - mpebs.com
- Bellevue, NE - Nebraska Parrot Rescue - Tel. (402) 350-9923
- Under My Wing Avian Refuge - Paula N Ashfield - 1243 Rte 23 North Wantage, New Jersey 07461 Te. 973-702-7770
- A Helping Wing - a 501c3 non for profit rescue. Contact info : PO Box 259 Blairstown, NJ 07825 Phone 845.475.8249, Contact: Jeanne Gilligan
- Northeast Avian Rescue,13 Couse Place, East Greenbush, NY 12061 - Rescue/Adoption hotline (518) 708-6091 Rescue/Adoption contacts: Robert Lewis: firstname.lastname@example.org (518) 209-4056, Lauren Palmateer: email@example.com. Do adopt out and will accept any parrot. Have three foster locations and are willing to provide both fostered and facilitated adoptions depending on the surrenderer's needs. Serving Eastern New York and adjoining states.
- Long Island, NY: Specialize in birds with medical/physical/emotional problems that are difficult to place. Also work with bird owners who would like to try to keep the birds and encourage them to try to work things out. Contact: HomeTweet@aol.com - Tel. 631-896-2913.
- Long Island Parrot Society (LIPS), Rescue and Rehabilitation of Lost, Unwanted or Abused Parrots, (631) 957-1100, Beeper (516) 9-RESCUE, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tulsa Ok - Safaris zoo - a private zoo outside Broken Arrow, Ok....Lori, the owner and founder, is on a local tv station at least once a month with animals and parrots promoting awareness of the responsibility of ownership of exotic pets. She will take in smaller birds, but calls me to help her find a home for them. She can be reached at 918-955-1964 or at email@example.com.
- Parrot Education and Adoption Center - Cleveland PO Box 38325 Olmsted Falls, OH 44138 - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exotic Bird Rescue of Oregon, PO Box 14863, Portland, OR 97293 or email email@example.com
- Macaw Landing Foundation, P.O. Box 17364, Portland, Oregon 97217, Phone: (503) 286-0882, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie Tillitt, Stephanie's Feathered Family Exotic Bird Rescue, N/A - 360-896-3588 Home, 360-601-9778 Cell
- Jojo The Grey Adoption and Rescue for Birds - a 501c3. - contact: email@example.com - Margaret Ouali - Tel. 610-713-0331
- Changez Bird Rescue, Phone: 610-231-0654 or 610-440-2148
- PEARL (Parrot Education Adoption Rehoming League), P.O. Box 18022, Pittsburgh PA 15236. Ph.412.692.1024 email: pearl.parrots [at] gmail.com
- Pyrenean Aerie Exotic Bird Rescue, email: Jeffpyr@aol.com
- Lair Of Dragons Bird Rescue and Sanctuary located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania 717-431-8599. An exotic bird rescue 7 sanctuary dedicated to preserving the welfare of companion parrots. Adoptions, rehabilitation, medical and sanctuary home for birds whom can not be adopted out do to aggression, behavioral or medical problems. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Have strict policies and require a contract to be signed. Absolutley no breeding, selling, giving away or using any bird for entertainment purposes.
- Joel Burtner - although not an official rescue - is happy to guide frustrated bird owners in resolving behavioral issues. If needed, he will also give a good home to a needy bird. He is located 30 minutes north of Philadelphia, PA - but will drive as far as upper Michigan. Contact: JL Burtner HT- sickrunescaper [at] yahoo.com
- Lazicki's Bird House and Rescue, Inc. 40 Charles St E-2 Wakefield, RI 02879 Contact: Valerie Ashley Email: email@example.com
- Black Hills Parrot Welfare and Education Center - 11132 Valley 1 Rd. Belle Fourche, SD 57717 www.blackhillsparrotwelfare.org (605) 892-2336 - Managed by Greg and Cindy Poulain - certified avian specialists (recommended by Stacey Raisanen)
- Wings of Love Bird Haven, Inc. - a 501c3 nonprofit bird rescue facility that takes in parrots (conure sized and larger) - Located in Red Oak Tx. Also do adoptions. Contact email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Also on facebook: www.facebook.com/birdhaven.
- Flight For Flight Parrot Rescue - 501c3 non-profit parrot rescue - Tulsa, Oklahoma: Rehabilitator and educator about parrots. Cover the states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas and Missouri. - Email: email@example.com PH. #'s 918-283-1264 / 918-845-7745 / 918-633-7257
- National Parrot Rescue and Preservation Foundation, 205 Heritage Trail North
- Laney Rickman; The Bird Endowment, PO Box 966, No.10, Bird Endowment Place, Cuero, TX 77954-0966
- Wasatch Avian Education Society, 801-424-2589, firstname.lastname@example.org, - located in Salt Lake City, Utah 84165
- Safe House, Inc: Companion Bird Rehab and Retirement Center. P.O. Box 3252, Newport News, VA 23603, Phone: (757) 887-8683, Fax: (757) 220-1390
- Rescue Me, An Avian Sanctuary, Post Office Box 534, Ark, VA 23003, (804) 693-5997, Fax (804) 695-9475, e-mail: Rescuemeinfo@aol.com
- Good Fox Birdie Haven - Email : email@example.com - A 501(c)3 non-profit rescue/rehab and adoption shelter providing temporary and permanent housing for domestic exotic birds, located in Algona Washington. Have worked with local police and Animal control to aid in rescues. Help in emergency situations available: Tel. 253- 333-0766. FB: Good Fox Birdie Haven. Executive Director(s) Dave and Sharon Fox
- Shelton and Mason Co. Parrot Rescue (SMCPR) - All sizes, species, special needs, behavioral problems, etc. Emergency placement available. Shelton, WA 98584 (360) 229-3976 http://www.facebook.com/sheltonmasonparrotrescue - Echo VanderWal, Founder
- Cockatoo Creek Jane Johnson, 209 Black Creek Rd, Montesano, Wa 98563
INTERNATIONAL RESCUE ORGANIZATIONS:
The Budgie Sanctuary - a budgie sanctuary for unwanted and neglected budgies.
http://N/A - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parrot Line, 65 Boardman Fold Road, Alkrington, Middleton, Manchester, M24 1QD, England, e-mail: email@example.com
GreyHaven Exotic Bird Sanctionary, 800-15355 24th Ave., Surrey B.C V4A 2H9, (604) 878-7212, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Foundation Dutch Parrot Refuge, Stichting N.O.P., Wintelresedijk 51, 5507 PP Veldhoven, The Netherlands, Tel.: 040-2052772, Fax.: 040-2052723, e-mail: email@example.com
Also please check in your local phone directory. I know that, for example, in San Diego, California, they have an excellent Parrot Rescue Organization that places birds in carefully screened homes. Your area may also offer this kind of non-profit organization.
Lost or Found a Bird? Contact the Bird Patrol
Content Researched and Authored By Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!