Porphyrio is thegenus of birds with a distribution in the warmer regions of Africa and the Americas, barely reaching into Asia and Europe.
- Purple Swamphen, Porphyrio porphyrio
- Takahē or South Island Takahē, Porphyrio hochstetteri
- Allen's Gallinule also known as Lesser Gallinule, Porphyrio alleni (formerly Porphyrula alleni)
- American Purple Gallinule, Porphyrio martinica (formerly Porphyrula martinica)
- Azure Gallinule, Porphyrio flavirostris
- African Purple Swamphen formerly known as African Purple Gallinule, Porphyrio madagascariensis (formerly Porphyrio porphyrio)
- Lord Howe Swamphen, Porphyrio albus (early 19th century)
- Réunion Swamphen or Oiseau bleu, Porphyrio coerulescens (18th century, hypothetical species)
- Marquesas Swamphen, Porphyrio paepae (prehistoric or c.1900)
- North Island Takahē or mōho, Porphyrio mantelli (prehistoric or 1890s)
- New Caledonian Swamphen, Porphyrio kukwiedei (prehistoric or more recent)
- Huahine Swamphen, Porphyrio mcnabi (prehistoric)
- Buka Swamphen, Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric)
- Giant Swamphen, Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric)
- New Ireland Swamphen, Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric)
- Norfolk Island Swamphen, Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric)
- Rota Swamphen, Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric)
- Mangaia Swamphen/Woodhen, ?Porphyrio sp. (prehistoric) - would belong into Porphyrula, Gallinula or Pareudiastes
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!