In captivity, a variety of mutations have occurred, including blue, yellow / lutino, white, blue pastel, green fallow, blue fallow, pied, and dilute. Below listed are the most common ...
- Albino Mutation: All-white plumage with red eyes. Recessive gene: both parents have to carry it to produce white offspring.
- White Mutation: White plumage except for some soft blue markings on the wing. The eyes are dark / black. Recessive gene: both parents have to carry it to produce white offspring.
- Lutino Mutation: The plumage is mostly lemon yellow; except the areas of plumage that are blue in the normal green male are white in the lutino male. The eyes are red. Sex-linked mutation.
- Blue Mutation: Males have a plumage of varying shades of blues, generally a soft powder blue with silvery, greyish-blue wash on the nape (back of the neck) and back. The face is turquoise blue; and the rump, back, and wings are deep cobalt blue. Females lack the cobalt blue rump and wings. Juveniles have a duller plumage. Simple recessive mutation - requiring both parents to carry the gene in order for the trait to show up visually in the young.
- Fallow Mutation: The plumage is golden green with the same cobalt blue markings of the normal form. Males have a bright yellow face. Females have a duller plumage and lack the cobalt markings. Simple recessive mutation - requiring both parents to carry the gene in order for the trait to show up visually in the young.
- American Dark Factor (Olive): A mostly olive-green plumage with very dark flight feathers. Immature birds have a darker plumage and lighten as they get older.
- Other Mutations: Cobalt, Pied ...
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!