- Muscovy Ducks usually live for 7-8 years; however they can live up to 20 years or more if they have access to good nutrition and don't fall victim to an accident or predation.
- The males can be very aggressive towards other birds. They are often observed in fights, using their claws, wings and beaks. They will chase away other males and pursue unwilling females in order to forcibly mate with them. The dominant male may even force himself on other males, particularly when the females are busy brooding eggs or raising their ducklings. This being said, they are generally quite friendly with people.
- Muscovies communicate with one another by wagging their tails and raising and lowering their heads at one another.
- Unlike other ducks, Muscovies don't swim much as their oil glands are quite under-developed compared to other duck species. However, they still fly (low flight mostly), swim and walk fairly well.
- Unlike most domestic waterfowl, Muscovies will often fly up into trees to roost.
- Muscovies graze like geese.
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.