The Munias, Mannikins and Silverbills (Genus: Lonchura) are finches that occur in the Old World tropics. The most variety can be found in open habitats in southern Asia from India and Sri Lanka east to the Indonesia and the Philippines.
These small birds feed mainly on seeds.
They usually nesta in large domed grass structure, and the average clutch consists of 4-10 white eggs.
Some species also build communal roosting nests for overnight rest.
All members of this genus are similar in size and structure. They have short, stubby bills, stocky bodies and long tails. Most are 4 - 4.7 inches (10-12 cm) in length. The color of their plumages are generally combinations of browns, black and white. Males and females generally look alike. Juveniles are usually duller with a less contrasted plumage.
- Society Finches aka Bengalese Finch, Japanese Mövchen Finch, Japanese Movchen Finch, Lonchura domestica
- White-rumped Munia or White-rumped Mannikin (Lonchura striata)
- African Silverbill (Lonchura (?) cantans) - sometimes split
- Spice Finches aka Scaly-breasted Munia, Nutmeg Mannikin, Lonchura punctulata
- Madagascar Munia, Lonchura nana
- White-rumped Munia, Lonchura striata
- Javan Munia, Lonchura leucogastroides
- Dusky Munia, Lonchura fuscans
- Black-faced Munia, Lonchura molucca
- Black-headed Munia or Chestnut Munia, Lonchura atricapilla, formerly Lonchura malacca atricapilla
- Black-throated Munia, Lonchura kelaarti - often also split.
- Scaly-breasted or Spotted Munia, Lonchura punctulata / Spice Finches
- White-bellied Munia, Lonchura leucogastra
- Streak-headed Munia, Lonchura tristissima
- Black-headed Munia or Chestnut Munia, Lonchura atricapilla
- Tricolored Munia, Lonchura malacca
- Indian Silverbill or White-throated Munia, Lonchura malabarica
- White-capped Munia, Lonchura ferruginosa
- Cream-bellied Munia, Lonchura pallidiventer
- Five-colored Munia, Lonchura quinticolor
- White-headed Munia, Lonchura maja
- Pale-headed Munia, Lonchura pallida
- Grand Munia, Lonchura grandis
- Grey-banded Munia, Lonchura vana
- Grey-crowned Munia, Lonchura nevermanni
- Hooded Munia, Lonchura spectabilis
- Grey-headed Munia, Lonchura caniceps
- Mottled Munia, Lonchura hunsteini
- New Ireland Munia, Lonchura forbesi
- New Hanover Munia, Lonchura nigerrima
- Yellow-rumped Munia, Lonchura flaviprymna
- Chestnut-breasted Munia, Lonchura castaneothorax
- Black Munia, Lonchura stygia
- Black-breasted Munia, Lonchura teerinki
- Snow Mountain Munia, Lonchura montana
- Alpine Munia, Lonchura monticola
- Bismarck Munia, Lonchura melaena
- Red Munia, Estrilda amandava
- Green Munia, Estrilda formosa
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!