The Meek's Lorikeet (Charmosyna meeki) is native to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands. Its preferred habitat includes subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montanes.
Status in the Wild / Distribution:
This lory is endangered in its natural habitat due to habitat destruction, and is listed as CITES II.
Lories as Pets or in Aviculture:
Due to their endangered status, any suitable specimen that cannot be released back into their natural habitat (native range) should preferably be placed into a well-managed breeding program to ensure the continued survival of this species.
Genus: Scientific: Charmosyna ... English: Honey Lorikeets ... Dutch: Honingpapegaaien ... German: Zierloris ... French: Loriquet de miele
Species: Scientific: Charmosyna meeki aka Hypocharmosyna meeki ... English: Meek's Lorikeet ... Dutch: Meeks Lori ... German: Meeks Zierlori ... French: Loriquet de Meek
Other Relevant Web Resources
- Photos of the Different Lory Species for Identification ... Listing of Species
- Distribution Maps of Lories and Lorikeets
- Lories and Lorikeets in Aviculture
- Feeding and Housing Your Lories and Lorikeets
- Diseases of Lories / Lorikeets and Health Care Program
- Special Challenges of Lories and Lorikeets: Training and Behavioral Guidance
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.