Dove Information ... Index of Dove Species ... Photos of the Different Dove Species for Identification
The Mackinlay's Cuckoo-doves (Macropygia mackinlayi) - also known as Dimorphic Cuckoo-Doves, Rufous-brown Pheasant Doves or Spot-breasted Cuckoo-Doves - occur naturally in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- Mackinlay's Cuckoo Dove, Mackinlay's Cuckoo-Dove (Macropygia mackinlayi mackinlayi - E. P. Ramsay, 1878) - Nominate Race
- Range: Santa Cruz and Banks Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Macropygia mackinlayi goodsoni (Hartert, 1924)
- Range: Admiralty and St Matthias Islands, Emirau Island (aka Emira or Squally Island), Watom Island (off northeastern New Britain) and Vitu Islands located in the Bismarck Archipelago of Papua New Guinea in the South West Pacific. Also occurs in the Talasea district of west central New Britain.
- Macropygia mackinlayi arossi (Tristram, 1879)
- Range: Solomon Islands
- Macropygia mackinlayi krakari (Rothschild and Hartert, 1915) - subspecies by some authorities considered invalid
- Range: Karkar Island - off the north coast of mainland Papua New Guinea.
Alternate (Global) Names
Czech: Holub Mackinlayuv, holub Mackinlay?v ... Danish: Stillehavsgøgedue ... Dutch: Mackinlay-koekoeksduif, Mackinlays Koekoeksduif, Macklinlay's Koekoeksduif ... Estonian: melaneesia kägutuvi ... Finnish: Melanesiankäkikyyhky ... French: Phasianelle de Mackinlay ... German: Mackinlaytaube, Mackinlay-Taube ... Italian: Tortora cuculo di Mackinlay, Tortora cuculo di Mackinlayi ... Japanese: meraneshiaonagabato ... Norwegian: Flekkgjøkdue ... Polish: Kasztanówka zmiena, kasztanówka zmienna ... Russian: ????? ?????????? ??????? ... Slovak: hrdlica škvrnitoprsá ... Spanish: Tórtola Cuco de Mackinlay, Tórtola-cuco de Mackinlay ... Swedish: Mackinlays gökduva
Relevant Web Resources
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!