Avianweb Contributor / Author / Member, Association of Avian Veterinarians, Lafebervet.com, and other veterinary sites.
Index of Bird Diseases ... Symptoms and Potential Causes ... Bird Species and Diseases They are Most Susceptible to
Originally from Fremont, Ohio, Jeannine Miesle and her husband, Terry, now live in West Chester, Ohio.
Jeannine Miesle M.A., M.Ed has done considerable writing, proofreading and editing for journals and newsletters over the years. She had taught English and music in the schools and presently is organist at Bethany Methodist church in West Chester and teaches ESL classes. She takes in rescued cockatiels and presently has nine birds. When they come to her they remain as part of her flock.
Jeannine and her husband Terry have been involved with birds for many years. Her flock now consists of nine cockatiels, all rescued. Her experience with Avian Bornaviral Ganglioneuritis (PDD) stems from the five years she cared for their Triton cockatoo, Krissy, who passed away in 2013. Their cockatiels range from around seven to 22 years of age. They take in birds which are neglected and often abused.
They have been involved in avian rescue for the past 15 years. Some of the birds came from rescue organizations and some through friends. In addition to writing for Beauty of Birds, Jeannine has a Facebook group named, "The Science of Avian Health." This page is strickly an educational site and contains veterinarian-approved research papers and other articles about avian health and illness in the "Files." Some of Jeannine’s papers have been published in IVIS and on Lafebervet.com.
She can be reached at 513-779-6172 or [email protected].
Avianweb Articles / Contributions:
Avian Medicine / Bird Welfare
- Avian Pain Assessment & Management
- Glossary of Avian Medical Terms
- Caring for a Handicapped Bird
- Pet Birds: Hand-raised or Parent-raised: Which is better for the birds?
- Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease: An Overview
- The Beak: Conditions, Diseases, and Care
- Dr. Dahlhausen's 2017 Lecture on Feather Picking & Self-mutilation in Birds - Notes
- Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot): Diagnosis, treatment, and resolution
- Nutritional Requirements for Psittacines (Parrots)
- Feeding Pet Birds for Good Health
- Overview of Avian Geriatric Disorders with Emphasis on Psittacines. January, 2022
- Neoplasms and Oncology: Tumors, Masses and Growths in Pet Birds
- Avian Bornaviral Ganglioneuritis (PDD) - Latest insights into Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD) / Avian Borna Virus (ABV) for Aviculturists and Veterinary Professionals
- Resolution of Xanthomatosis Without surgical Intervention
- Demystifying the Avian CBC: The Complete Blood Count
- Viral Structure
- Medications Used in Avian and Exotic Medicine and Pharmaceutical Terms .... Prefixes and Suffixes
- The Miracle that is Marcie - The story of a rescued cockatiel with multiple serious health problems, including xanthomas, lesions, malnutrition, Clostridium, Giardia and an atrophied uropygial gland
- Acquiring Animals—Benevolent Caregiver or Hoarder / Animals Hoarding: What Can We Do?
Bird Species Research / Articles
- Grey Catbirds
- Kingfishers (including subspecies pages)
- Kinglets (including subspecies pages)
- Kookaburras (including subspecies pages)
- Nuthatches (including subspecies pages)
- Woodpeckers(and linked pages)
- Woodpecker Species
- Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus)
- American Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides dorsalis)
- Andean Flicker (Colaptes rupicola)
- Arabian Woodpecker (Dendrocopos dorae)
- Arizona Woodpeckers (Picoides arizonae)
- Black-backed Woodpecker (Picoides arcticus)
- Campo Flicker (Colaptes campestris)
- Chilean Flicker (Colaptes pitius)
- Downy Woodpeckers (Picoides pubescens)
- Eurasian Three-toed Woodpecker (picoides tridactylus)
- Fernandina's Flicker (Colaptes fernandinae)
- Gilded Flicker (Colaptes chrysoides)
- Golden-olive Woodpecker (Colaptes rubiginosus)
- Ladder-backed Woodpecker (Picoides scalaris)
- Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
- Nuttall's Woodpecker (Picoides nuttallii)
- Red-cockaded Woodpecker (Picoides borealis)
- Spot-breasted Woodpecker (Colaptes punctigula)
- Strickland's Woodpecker (Picoides stricklandi)
- White-headed Woodpecker (Picoides albolarvatus)