The Guadalcanal Thicketbirds (Megalurulus whitneyi) are also known as Melanesian Thicketbirds, Melanesian Thicket Warblers, New Hebrides Thicketbirds, Solomons Thicketbirds and Whitney's Thicket Warblers.
These birds are in danger of extinction, mostly due to the predation of introduced feral cats.
These slender, long-legged birds measure about 16.5 cm in length, including the long tail.
They occur naturally on Pacific Ocean islands, where they inhabit high-altitude mossy forest areas, specifically:
- Espiritu Santo Island in Vanuatu.
- Guadalcanal (Isatabu) - the largest island in the Solomon Islands group
- New Britain Island in Bismarck Archipelago
- Bougainville Island (Papua New Guinea)
Identified Subspecies and Ranges
- New Hebrides Thicketbird (Megalurulus whitneyi whitneyi - Mayr, 1933) - Nominate Race
- Range: Fairly common in the mountains of Espíritu Santo Island in northern Vanuatu, at elevations from 700 to 1,500 meters; occasionally down to 150 meters.
- Guadalcanal or Solomons Thicketbird (Megalurulus whitneyi turipavae - Cain and Galbraith, 1955)
- Guadalcanal Island in the southeastern Solomon Islands. Only three records of this bird exist at elevations from 1,200 to 1,550 meters.
- Bismarck Thicketbird, New Britain Thicketbird, Whiteman Mountains Thicketbird (Megalurulus whitneyi grosvenori - Gilliard, 1960)
- New Britain Islands, in the Whiteman Mountains, Bismarck Archipelago.
- Bougainville Thicketbird or Thicket-warbler (Megalurulus whitneyi llaneae - Hadden, 1983)
- Bougainville Island, in the Crown Prince Range located in the center in the island. Possibly also found on Mount Balbi in the northern portion of the island, Papua New Guinea.
Alternate (Global) Names
Czech: cistovníkovec ostrovní, Travník ostrovní ... Chinese: ???? ... Danish: Vanuatusanger ... Dutch: Vanuatuzanger, Vanuatu-zanger ... Finnish: Tiheikkökerttu ... French: Cichlorne de Whitney, Fauvette de Whitney, Mégalure de Guadalcanal, Mégalure de Whitney ... German: Whitney Buschsänger, Whitneybuschsänger, Whitney-Buschsänger ... Italian: Cantore di macchia di Whitney, Erbarolo di Guadalcanal ... Japanese: nyuaheburidesutsugumimodoki, nyu-heburidesutsugumimodoki ... Norwegian: Melanesiasanger ... Polish: krzakowik melanezyjski, Krzakowik samotny ... Slovak: svrkavec potocný, svrkavec poto?ný ... Swedish: Guadalkanalgräsfågel
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!