English: Black billed Kingfisher, Black-billed Kingfisher, Great-billed Kingfisher
Despite their large range, these birds are generally sparse and only locally common. It is believed that their numbers are going down owing to habitat destruction.
Subspecies and Ranges:
- Great-billed Kingfisher. Black-billed Kingfisher or Celebes Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis melanorhyncha melanorhyncha - Temminck, 1826) - Nominate Form
- Range: Sulawesi and associated islands (Bangka, Manadotua, Lembeh, Togian Is, Dodepo, Wowoni, Kabaena, Muna, Butung, Labuandata, Salayar).
- Pelargopsis melanorhyncha dichrorhyncha (A. B. Meyer and Wiglesworth, 1896)
- Range: Peleng Island and Banggai Islands (off Sulawesi situated between Borneo and the Maluku Island.)
- Pelargopsis melanorhyncha eutreptorhyncha (Hartert, 1898)
- Range: Sula Islands in North Maluku (east of Sulawesi) in Indonesia
Diet / Feeding
Their diet is diverse; they will hunt and eat fish; and may take frogs and other amphibians, annelid worms, molluscs, insects, spiders, centipedes, reptiles and potentially other small birds and mammals.
Alternate (Global) Names
Chinese: ???? ... Czech: Lednácek cernozobý, led?á?ek ?ernozobý ... Danish: Grårygget Storkenæbsisfugl ... Dutch: Grootsnavelijsvogel, Grootsnavel-ijsvogel ... Estonian: pugal-safiirlind ... Finnish: mustanokkakalastaja, Mustavatsakalastaja ... French: Martin-chasseur à bec noir ... German: Schwarzschnabelgurial, Schwarzschnabelliest, Schwazschnabelliest
Indonesian: Bonkaka, Pekaka Bua-bua, Raja udang perut hitam ... Italian: Martin pescatore becconero ... Japanese: serebesukouhashishoubin ... Norwegian: Sotvingeisfugl ... Polish: lowiec czarnodzioby, ?owiec czarnodzioby ... Russian: ??????????? ?????? ... Slovak: rybárikovec ?iernozobý ... Spanish: Alción de Pico Grande, Alción Piquinegro ... Swedish: Gråryggad kungsfiskare
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.