Species of Eclectus Parrots
Eclectus Information (Personality, Care, Diet) ... Eclectus Sub-species Identification ... Interesting Video of Eclectuses Breeding in the Wild ... Talking Ability (compared to other species) ... Common Diseases / Conditions of the Eclectus Parrot ... Eclectus Foods
The genus Eclectus is composed of nine (possibly ten) subspecies, with differences in size, coloring and natural range.
Of these subspecies, the following four are the most commonly seen in captivity:
- Red-sided Eclectus (Eclectus roratus polychloros)
- Native Range: New Guinea mainland
- ID: blue eye rings, no yellow tail tips
- Grand Eclectus (Eclectus roratus roratus)
- Native Range: Southern Moluccan Islands also known as Maluku Islands, Moluccas or the Spice Islands
- Solomon Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratus solomonensis)
- Vosmaeri Eclectus or Vos Eclectus (Eclectus roratus vosmaeri)
- Native Range: Northern Moluccan Islands
- ID: No blue eye rings. Yellow tail tips.
Significantly less common and unknown in the United States are the:
- Biaki or Biak Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratis biaki)
- Native Range: Biak Islands - northwest of New Guinea
- Sumba Island Eclectus aka Cornelia's Eclectus (Eclectus roratus cornelia)
- Australian Eclectus Parrot or Macgillivray Eclectus (Eclectus roratus macgillivrayi)
- Native Range: Australia, specifically the Cape York Penninsula
- At an average length of 37 cm or 14.5 inches, this is the largest of all Eclectus species
- Tanimbar Islands Eclectus or Riedeli’s Eclectus (Eclectus roratus riedeli)
- Native Range: Tanimbar Islands in the Maluku province of Indonesia
- ID: At an average length of 29.25 cm or 11.5 inches, this is (together with the Westerman's Eclectus), the smallest of all Eclectus species.
- New Guinea Red-sided Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus polychloros)
- Aru Island Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus aruensis
- Westerman's Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus westermani) - doubtfully valid.
- ID: At an average length of 29.25 cm or 11.5 inches, this is (together with the Riedeli’s Eclectus) the smallest of all Eclectus species.
Eclectus Roratus Female Identification
Aru Red Sided Eclectus
Australian Red Sided Eclectus
Biak Red Sided Eclectus
Ceram Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus r. roratus) - Grand Eclectus
Cornelia's Eclectus Parrots:
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus cornelia aka Lorius roratus cornelia ... English: Cornelia's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Cornelia's Edelpapegaai ... German: Cornelia Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Cornelia
Distribution: Sumba in the Lesser Sunda Islands
Halmahera Eclectus (Vosmaeri Eclectus)
Queensland Eclectus Parrots or Macgillivray Eclectus
New Guinea Eclectus
Oceanic Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus infectus) is an extinct parrot species which occurred on Tonga and Vanuatu (possibly on Fiji)
Red-sided Eclectus aka New Guinea Eclectus
Riedel's Eclectus Parrots:
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus riedeli ... English: Riedel's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Riedels Edelpapegaai ... German: Riedels Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Riedel
Distribution: Tinimbar Islands
Solomon Island Eclectus aka Solomon Eclectus
Vosmaeri's Eclectus aka Halmahera Eclectus Parrot
Westerman's Eclectus Parrots: It is unknown if this is a real subspecies or an aviary bred bird.
Description: The Westerman's Eclectus hen has a dark smoky abdomen and is smaller than the females of the other sub-species, which feature blue or purple abdomens. Identification of the males in the various subspecies is much more difficult to determine. The usual method being differences in the size of the bird and the shade of green in their plumage.
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus westermani ... English: Westerman's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Westermans Edelpapegaai ... German: Westermans Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Westerman
Distribution: only known by aviary specimens
Taxonomy and Recommended Websites:
Family: Psittacidae ... Subfamily: Psittacinae
Genus: Scientific: Eclectus ... English: Eclectus Parrots ... Dutch: Edelpapegaaien ... German: Edelpapageien ... French: Perroquet eclectus ... CITES II: Endangered Species
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!