(Columbidae - Please see also Doves)
Pigeon Information ... Pigeon Intelligence & Amazing Facts ... Species / Breeds ... Breed Photo Gallery
Dresden Trumpeter is a house pigeon race that originates from Saxony, in the region of Dresden.
Only slightly sturdier than the Field Pigeon, low carriage, a rather long than short effect required. White wing shield. Double-crested.
- Head: Not quite so powerful as the double-crested Trumpeter. The shell crest should be broad and unbroken. The beak crest should be somewhat oval in shape, as unbroken as possible all round; the larger, forward part covering the beak wattles and requiring some foundation to avoid unsightly hanging.
- Eyes: Dark orange iris, somewhat lighter iris allowed in reds and yellows. Cere fine, flesh-colored.
- Beak: Dark in blacks, flesh-colored in reds and yellows; in reds a somewhat darker tinge is permitted.
- Neck: Short, fairly rounded, throat full, rounded.
- Breast: Broad as possible, full and pressed well forward.
- Back: Fairly broad at the shoulder, slightly sloping.
- Wings: Fairly broad, with long primaries (longest wing feathers) reaching almost to the end of the tail.
- Tail: Long.
- Legs: Thighs well feathered. Feet thick and full-muffed. However, muff feathers should not be excessively long. Muffs must spread to the side rather than to the front.
Colors: Red and yellow, very occasionally black.
Markings: White wing shields. All other feathers colored.
Defects: Thin or weak body, upright stance; too much of a blue tinge in the coloring, white feathers in the primaries (longest wing feathers), muffs, tail, thighs and head; distorted beak crest; narrow, distorted or incomplete shell crest; muffs which are too short or full of gaps. Order of Evaluation: Overall Impression - body size - carriage - markings - head adornment.
In the wild doves and pigeons feed on seeds, fruits (including berries), green leaves and shoots, as well as insects, including spiders.
Basic Pigeon Food: can be pelleted or a mix consisting of seeds, cereals and legumes.
Greens: lettuce, endive, chickweed, clover, watercress, and spinach.
Fruits: berries, apple, pears, etc..
Miscellaneous Bird Foods: game bird crumbles, water soaked dog biscuits, and water or milk soaked bread
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.