Diet / Feeding:
They forage in foliage, on tree trunks and limbs, and on the ground, taking insects and larvae (often dug out from under the bark of trees), fruit, and the nestlings of other birds.
Species and races
- S. fuliginosa - Black Jay or Black Currawong
- S. fuliginosa colei - King Island Black Currawong
- S. fuliginosa parvior - Flinders Island Black Currawong
- S. graculina - Pied Currawong
- S. graculina graculina
- S. graculina ashbyi - Western Victorian Pied Currawong
- S. graculina crissalis - Lord Howe Currawong
- S. graculina magnirostris
- S. graculina robinsoni
- S. graculina nebulosa
- S. versicolor a complex, including:
- S. versicolor versicolor - Grey Currawong
- S. versicolor intermedia - Brown Currawong
- S. versicolor plumbea - Grey Currawong (WA)
- S. versicolor halmaturina - Grey Currawong (Kangaroo Island)
- S. versicolor arguta - Clinking Currawong or Black magpie
- S. versicolor melanoptera - Black-winged Currawong
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!