Coua Photo Gallery ... Article (in English and German): Captive Breeding of Couas at the Weltvogelpark Walsrode in Germany / Aufzucht von Seidenkuckucken im Weltvogelpark Walsrode
Most of the images on this page were kindly provided by Weltvogelpark Walsrode in Germany.
These large, mostly terrestrial birds have brightly colored bare areas around the eyes and a silky plumage.
Like all other members of the Cuckoo family, they have large feet with reversible third toes.
Breeding / Nesting
Unlike cuckoos, Couas build their own nests out of twigs and leaves that are usually well hidden in trees or bushes; and they incubate their own white-colored eggs. A clutch usually consists of 1 - 4 eggs.
They also raise their own young.
Diet / Feeding
Their diet consists mainly of various insects, fruits, berries, seeds, small reptiles, snails and some small vertebrates such as chameleons.
- Ancient Coua, Coua primaeva – prehistoric
- Bertha's Coua, Coua berthae – prehistoric
- Running Coua, Coua cursor: Endemic to Madagascar. It inhabits subtropical or tropical dry forests.
- Giant Coua, Coua gigas
- Delalande's Coua, Coua delalandei – extinct (late 19th century)
- Coquerel's Coua, Coua coquereli: Endemic to Madagascar. It inhabits subtropical or tropical dry forests.
- Red-breasted Coua, Coua serriana: Endemic to Madagascar
- Red-fronted Coua, Coua reynaudii: Endemic to Madagascar. It inhabits subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.
- Red-capped Coua, Coua ruficeps: Endemic to Madagascar. It inhabits subtropical or tropical dry and moist lowland forests.
- Crested Coua, Coua cristata
- Coua cristata maxima – Only known from a single specimen; possibly extinct (late 20th century) or a hybrid.
- Verreaux's Coua, Coua verreauxi: - Endemic to Madagascar. This bird species inhabits subtropical or tropical dry shrubland. The continued existence of this species is threatened by habitat destruction.Its name commemorates French ornithologist and collector Jules Verreaux.
- Blue Coua, Coua caerulea
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.