The cotingas are found in the forests and forest edges of Central America and tropical South America.
Diet / Feeding
They mostly eat fruit or insects.
Cotingas have broad bills with hooked tips, rounded wings, and strong legs.
The males of many species are brightly colored, or decorated with plumes or wattles, with their umbrella-like crest and long throat wattles. Some have distinctive and far-carrying calls.
The females of most species are duller than the males.
Breeding / Nesting
The females alone care for the eggs and young. Males will mate with several females.
Many have striking courtship displays, often grouped together in leks (competitive mating displays or dancing grounds). The males gather high in a single tree or in adjacent trees, but male cocks-of-the-rock, as befits their more terrestrial lives, give their elaborate displays in leks on the ground.
Many species lay a single egg in a flimsy nest. Fruiteaters, on the other hand, build more solid cup nests, and the cocks-of-the-rock attach their mud nests to cliffs.
- Genus: Phytotoma- plantcutters
- Genus: Phoenicircus - red-cotingas
- Genus: Tijuca
- Genus: Carpornis - berryeaters
- Genus: Ampelion
- Genus: Doliornis
- Genus: Zaratornis
- White-cheeked Cotinga, Zaratornis stresemanni
- Genus: Pipreola - fruiteaters
- Genus: Ampelioides - Scaled Fruiteater
- Genus: Lipaugus - typical pihas
- Genus: Snowornis - atypical pihas (2 species)
- Genus Porphyrolaema
- Purple-throated Cotinga, Porphyrolaema porphyrolaema
- Genus: Cotinga
- Genus: Xipholena
- Genus: Carpodectes (3 species)
- Genus: Conioptilon
- Black-faced Cotinga, Conioptilon mcilhennyi
- Genus: Gymnoderus
- Bare-necked Fruitcrow, Gymnoderus foetidus
- Genus: Haematoderus
- Crimson Fruitcrow, Haematoderus militaris
- Genus: Querula
- Purple-throated Fruitcrow, Querula purpurata
- Genus: Pyroderus
- Red-ruffed Fruitcrow, Pyroderus scutatus
- Genus Cephalopterus, the umbrellabirds
- Genus: Perissocephalus
- Capuchinbird, Perissocephalus tricolor
- Genus Procnias, the bellbirds
- Genus Rupicola, the cock-of-the-rocks
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.