Budgerigar General Information ... Budgies as Pets ... Description / Characteristics ... Bird Care Requirements / Tips before Choosing the Right Pet for Your Family ... Budgie / Parakeet Diet ... Budgie Diseases
There are presently at least 32 primary mutations in the Budgerigar Parakeet enabling hundreds of possible secondary mutations (stable combined primary mutations) and color varieties (unstable combined mutations) .
Mutations can occur in the ...
- color of the plumage and pattern: albino, blue, cinnamon-ino (lacewinged), clearwinged, dark, greywinged, opaline, pieds, spangled, dilute (suffused), and violet; and
- feathers: crested
They are divided into two basic series of colors:
- white-based (blue, grey and white) andyellow-based (green, grey-green and yellow).
Each of those 32 primary mutations belonging to either one of the 4 basic groups of mutations classified in Parrot species genetics, namely:
- Albinism: where eumelanin is reduced in ALL body tissues and structures deviding into 2 sub-groups ; Complete-Albinism and Incomplete aka Partial Albinism,
- Dilutism:where eumelanin is always +/- incompletely (never completely) reduced virtually only in feathering,
- Leucism: where eumelanin is reduced virtually only in feathering and devides into 2 sub-groups ; Total-Leucism and Local-Leucism,
- Melanism: where eumelanin is +/- increased virtually only in feathering.
Each of those 32 primary mutations inherit either:
- autosomal-Co-Dominant (A-Co-D), autosomal-Complete-Dominant (A-C-D),autosomal-Incomplete-Dominant (A-I-D),autosomal-recessive (A-R),autosomal-Poly-Genic (A-P-G) Sex-Linked-recessive (S-L)
It must be noted that : the word autosomal is often replaced as a synonym by the NSL acronym standing for Non-Sex-Linked.
Here's a listing of the Budgerigar aka Budgie Parakeet's 32 primary mutations genetic identities, followed by their common names in parenthesis, followed by their according allele and /or Locus symbols and ending with their genetic inheritance ;
Blue Loci (plural of Locus):
- Dark-Factor: D-Locus : A-Co-D with regards to only other Blue Loci alleles and /or always otherwise A-I-D
- Blue: bl*bl : A-Co-D with regards to only other Blue Loci alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
- BlueII: blII-Locus : A-Co-D with regards to only other Blue Loci alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
- YellowFacedBlue: blII*yf : A-Co-D with regards to only other Blue Loci alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
- GoldenFacedBlue: blII*gf : A-Co-D with regards to only other Blue Loci alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
Structural mutations :
- Crest-Factor: Cr-Locus : A-P-GDark-Factor: D-Locus : A-I-DGrey-Factor (Dominant-Grey-Factor): G-Locus : A-C-D grey-factor (english-recessive-Grey-Factor): g-Locus : A-R grey-factor (australian-recessive-Grey-Factor) : ag-Locus : A-RViolet-Factor: V-Locus : A-I-D
Dilutistic mutations :
dil-Locus (Dilute Locus) multiple-allelic-series :
- Suffused (Dilute): dil*dil : A-Co-D with regards to only other dil-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
- ClearWings: dil*cw : A-Co-D with regards to only other dil-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
GreyWings: dil*gw : A-Co-D with regards to only other dil-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise A-R
Local-Leucistic (Pied) mutations :
- ADM (Anti-DiMorphic) Pied (danish-pied, recessive-pied, harlequin): s-Locus : A-R
- Piebald (Australian-Pied): Pb-Locus : A-C-D
- Pied (Continental_Dutch-Pied and Clear-Flighted_Dutch-Pied): Pi-Locus : A-C-D
Total-Leucistic (Clear) mutations :
- Spangle-Factor: Sp-Locus : I-D
- Dark-Eyed-Clear: dil*cw / dil*gw : is not a genuine primary mutation but a mutation variety produced by the visual combination of ADM-Pied and either Dutch-Pied varieties : A-Co-D
Albinistic mutations :
NSL-Albinism (recessive-albinism) : a-Locus : multiple-allelic-series :
- NSL-Ino (recessive-Ino): a*a : A-R
- Bronze_Fallow (german_Fallow): a*bz : A-Co-D with regards to only other a-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise A-R *This mutation more precisely belongs in the Incomplete-Albinistic mutations but it was necessary to display it's relationship with the a-Locus*
- Brown or BrownWings (sepia): b-Locus : presumed A-Co-D with regards to only other a-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise A-R *This mutation more precisely belongs in the Incomplete-Albinistic mutations but it was necessary to display it's relationship with the a-Locus*
Cinnamon (CinnamonWings): cin-Locus : S-L-R
- Dun_Fallow aka Grey-Brown_Fallow (english_Fallow) : df-Locus : A-R
- Faded : fd-Locus : A-R
- possible Beige_Fallow aka Pale-Brown_Fallow (australian_Fallow) : pf-Locus : A-R
- possible Plum-Eyed_Fallow (scotish_Fallow) : pl-Locus : A-R
SL-Albinism : ino-Locus : multiple-allelic-series :
- SL-Ino : ino-Locus : S-L-RSL-Clear Body : ino*cl : SL-Co-D with regards to only other ino-Locus alleles and /or always otherwise S-L-R
- BlackFace : bf-Locus : A-R
Other mutations :
- DarkWings : dw-Locus : A-I-DDominant-ClearBody : Cl-Locus : A-C-DOpaline : op-Locus : S-L-RSaddleBack : sb-Locus : A-RSlate : sl-Locus : S-L-R
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!