The Blackish Cuckooshrikes (Coracina coerulescens) - also known as Black Cuckooshrikes / Greybirds, Philippine Black Greybirds or Philippine Cuckooshrikes - are forest birds found in the Philippines.
Subspecies and Ranges:
- Philippine or Black or Blackish Cuckoo-shrike (Coracina coerulescens - Blyth, 1842) - Nominate form
- Range: The only race known to still be in existence. Occurs naturally on the island of Luzon in the northernmost region of the Philippines and on the adjacent island province of Catanduanes.
- Marinduque Blackish Cuckooshrike (Coracina coerulescens deschauenseei - duPont, 1972) - possibly extinct (late 20th century?)
- Range: Occurs / occurred on the island province of Marinduque located in north central Philippines. The only specimen was collected in 1971. Declines in its population is believed to have been caused by severe deforestation, particularly in the lowland areas.
- Cebu Blackish Cuckooshrike (Coracina coerulescens altera - Wardlaw Ramsay, 1881) - possibly extinct. Has not been seen since 1906, at which time McGregor (1909) described it as fairly common. One unconfirmed report dates back to 2000 (Pedregosa). Mostly found in primary forest (early 20th century?)
- Range: Formerly found on the island of Cebu situated in the Central Visayas of the Philippines.
- 10 - 10.25 inches (25 - 26 cm) long - including the tail
Plumage Details / Adult Male
- Mostly black plumage with purplish iridescence (more purple in the nominate form)
- Rump slaty grey
Plumage Details / Adult Females
- Uniform dark ash-grey plumage, paler on the rump
Other Physical Details
- Slightly curved bills with bristles on their nostrils.
- Bill, legs and feet are black
- Eyes are dark brown
Diet / Feeding
Blackish Cuckooshrikes mostly feed on various insects, fruits and berries.
Calls / Vocalizations / Sounds
Alternate (Global) Names
Chinese: ?????? ... Czech: Housencík filipínský ... Danish: Sort Gråfugl ... Dutch: Luzonrupsvogel ... Finnish: Luzoninkäpinkäinen ... French: Echenilleur noir ... German: Glanzraupenfänger, Stahlraupenfänger ... Italian: Averla cuculo nerastra, Coracina nera delle Filippine ... Japanese: Kurooosanshoukui, rusonoosanshoukui ... Norwegian: Kullarveeter ... Polish: kruczyna czarniawa ... Russian: ???????????? ????????????? ????????? ... Slovak: húseniciarka cernastá, húseni?iarka ?ernastá ... Spanish: Oruguero Negro Filipino, Oruguero Negruzco ... Swedish: Svart gråfågel
Species Research by Sibylle Johnson
For updates please follow BeautyOfBirds on Google+ (google.com/+Avianweb)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!