Bird Health / Bird Welfare Articles by Jeannine Miesle, M.A., M.Ed
- Avian Pain Assessment & Management
- Caring for a Handicapped Bird
- Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease: An Overview
- The Beak: Conditions, Diseases, and Care
- Dr. Dahlhausen's 2017 Lecture on Feather Picking & Self-mutilation in Birds - Notes
- Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot): Diagnosis, treatment, and resolution
- Nutritional Requirements for Psittacines (Parrots)
- Feeding Pet Birds for Good Health
- Overview of Avian Geriatric Disorders with Emphasis on Psittacines. January, 2022
- Avian Bornaviral Ganglioneuritis (PDD) - Latest insights into Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD) / Avian Borna Virus (ABV) for Aviculturists and Veterinary Professionals
- Resolution of Xanthomatosis Without surgical Intervention
- Demystifying the Avian CBC: The Complete Blood Count
- Viral Structure
- Medications Used in Avian and Exotic Medicine and Pharmaceutical Terms .... Prefixes and Suffixes
- The Miracle that is Marcie - The story of a rescued cockatiel with multiple serious health problems, including xanthomas, lesions, malnutrition, Clostridium, Giardia and an atrophied uropygial gland
- Acquiring Animals—Benevolent Caregiver or Hoarder / Animals Hoarding: What Can We Do?
Bird Healthcare / DiseasesThe Different Bird Species and Their Respective Syndromes
First Signs / Symptoms of a Sick Bird Weight Gain or Weight Loss - Primary Indicators of Health or Disease ... Do-It-Yourself Disease / Sex Testing, Do-It-Yourself Bacterial Testing/ Microbiology, Lab and Veterinary Resources ... New Bird and Well Bird Exams
Probiotics: Very important for molting, stressed or sickly birds, chicks or elderly pets, as well as those who have undergone antibiotic treatments. Antibiotics destroy "friendly" bacteria in the gut, allowing harmful pathogens to grow unchecked. Probiotics suppress the growth of potentially harmful organisms and boost the immune system. Acidophillus also helps to restore the microbial balance within the digestive tract. The probiotic strains acidophilus and bifidum release anti-fungal enzymes and alkalinize the body, so pathogens, such as candida (a big problem with chicks and stressed birds), can't flourish.
NOTE: Any information provided on the AvianWeb and linked pages are for your information only -- to be discussed with your vet. The information is not meant to replace qualified veterinary care, but the goal is to provide you options to discuss with a qualified veterinary professional.
Bird Diseases / Alphabetic Listing:
Bird Diseases: A - C Below
Avian Flu (Green and Healthy Website)
Avian influenza: Eradication from commercial poultry ... Avian Influenza (Green and Healthy Website)
Bird Fancier's / Breeders Lungs (Allergic Alvolitis) (Green and Healthy Website)
Bird Flu (Green and Healthy Website)
Blepharitis (Green and Healthy Website)
Metabolic Bone Disease:
Occurs as two forms:
rickets which is found in growing birds - caused by an inadequate dietary intake of calcium, phosphorous and vitamin D3 or improper calcium to phosphorous ratio.
osteomalacia (osteodystrophy) occurs in mature birds.
Chick Deformities ... Chlamydia / Chlamydiosis ... Chronic Egg Laying ... Crooked Beaks ... Cryptosporidium / Coccidia ... Coccidiosis ... Conjunctivitis ... Constricted Toe Syndrome ... Conure Bleeding Syndrome (CBS) ... Crooked Toes ... Crop Mycosis, Thrush
Information contained on this website is provided as general reference only. For application to specific circumstances, professional advice should be sought.